Scams and Fraud
How to avoid Scams and Fraud in Classified Advertising
When initiating or completing a transaction, always deal locally, face to face and follow these guidelines to avoid 99% of attempted scam or fraud.
• Do not make a payment to someone you have not met in person.
• Watch out for offers that may involve shipping and/or airfare - deal with people you can meet in person and pay cash.
• Please, NEVER wire money via Western Union or any other similar service. Anyone who asks you to do so is usually a scammer.
• Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders. Banks may cash fakes unknowingly, then hold you responsible for repayment.
• Transactions are between users only, we provide no third party "guarantees".
• Never give out any of your financial information including bank account, social security, paypal account, etc.
• Never purchase anything you have not seen, because that terrific deal may not exist at all.
• Refuse to allow any background or credit checks until you have met dealers, landlords, and/or employers in person.
Who can I notify about scam or fraud attempts?
• FTC Complaint Form and hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect that a listing on our website may be connected to a scam, please Contact Us and send us the details.